Saturday, November 07, 2009

We have re-entered the 21st century, I guess...

So finally there were several men out here yesterday from DISH TV who were able to figure out a way to get TV into our house - it only took 3 hours, but they did it! We have re-entered the 21st century of constant technology to the happiness of most of our friends and family. But can I confess something? I am sad. There was something wonderful about those 10 months without TV: no worries about commercials, because let's face it they are either toys that the kids don't need or they are totally inappropriate even on the kids channels; no individuals tuning out during hours that could be spent having quality time doing other things; no pressure or desire created by main stream media to stay in touch with things that you really don't need to stay in touch with in the first place (24, American Idol, etc..); no begging sessions about whether TV can be watched right now because it simply was not an option; it had to be a deliberate action to watch a movie together and not just boredom or lack of conversation, and so many more thoughts that I won't bother you with right now. Sometimes, I think part of my being was meant to be living in the very early 1900s or leading a take back control movement where parents and families say "No" to everything that is being created to make our lives easier and more manageable. If we stopped listening to the demands of our society in the first place what would really be that unmanageable? - Oh well, just ranting, now it is simply a matter of self-control and remembering and instilling in the kids that the TV is not the end all be all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments